A new survey from the leading online international money transfer service WorldRemit reveals how Filipinos living abroad celebrate their moms on Mother’s Day.
WorldRemit money transfers to the Philippines during the week leading up to Mother’s Day increased by 13% last year, highlighting that Mother’s Day is a special time for OFWs to show their love and appreciation for their moms.
The WorldRemit survey of customers sending money to the Philippines revealed:
- When asked who they send money to, 62% of those who responded said they send money to their moms in Philippines.
- When asked when they last met their mother, 43% of those who responded said they haven’t seen them for at least 2 years.
- 99% of respondents who send money to their mothers celebrate Mother’s Day.
- When asked how they celebrate Mother’s Day, 82% of those that responded said they send their mother money.
- Of those respondents who send their mom money for Mother’s Day, 78% also give their mom a call and 52% also send her a gift.
Last year, overseas Filipinos sent home over $33.8 billion, and Mother’s Day is an important time to connect with family by sending money home. To celebrate Mother’s Day this year, WorldRemit is offering new customers zero fees on their first transfer if they use the code MDAYWR when making payment.
WorldRemit’s app and website make sending money home as easy as sending an instant message. Filipinos living in over 50 countries, including the USA, Canada and Australia, can send money in a few taps directly from their smartphones, without having to travel and pay expensive fees at a money transfer agent.
For recipients in the Philippines, WorldRemit offers a variety of convenient ways to receive money, including mobile money, bank deposit, cash collection at around 15,000 locations across urban and rural areas of the Philippines, and mobile airtime top-up.
“Mother’s Day is an important time for the 10 million Filipinos living and working abroad to show their moms that they’re thinking of them,” says Michael Liu, Managing Director for Asia-Pacific at WorldRemit. “Our online money transfer service makes it easier to send money to your mom this Mother’s Day. Customers can make transfers at any time from anywhere with just a few taps on their smartphones. We also deliver notifications to you and your mom when the money has been sent and received to help you stay connected at every stage of the money transfer journey.”