Process and Requirements for Delayed Registration of Birth Certificate, and other Documents


Every day many are being born, but not every born are being registered right away. If you are one of them, or maybe you know someone who is not registered yet, it is never too late.

Here are the requirements and process on how to file and have your birth certificate registered even if it is delayed.

Requirements for Delayed Registration of Birth Certificate:

If the Person is less than eighteen (18) years old:

a) four (4) copies of the Certificate of Live Birth duly accomplished and signed by the proper parties;

b) accomplished Affidavit for Delayed Registration at the back of Certificate of Live Birth by the father, mother, or guardian, declaring therein, among other things, the following:

  • name of child
  • date and place of birth
  • name of the father if the child is illegitimate and has been acknowledged by him
  • if legitimate, the date and place of marriage of parents; and
  • reason for not registering the birth within thirty (30) days after the date of birth

In case the party seeking late registration of the birth of an illegitimate child is not the mother, the party shall, in addition to the foregoing facts, declare in a sworn statement the recent whereabouts of the mother.

c) any two of the following documentary evidences which may show the name of the child, date and place of birth, and name of mother (and name of father, if the child has been acknowledged):

  • baptismal certificate;
  • school records (nursery, kindergarten, or preparatory);
  • income tax return of parent/s;
  • insurance policy;
  • medical records; and
  • others, such as barangay captain’s certification.

d) affidavit of two disinterested persons who might have witnessed or known the birth of the child.

If the person is eighteen (18) years old or above:
a) all the requirements for the person who is less than eighteen (18) years old; and
b) Certificate of Marriage, if married.

Process for Delayed Registration of Birth Certificate:

Delayed registration of birth, like ordinary registration made at the time of birth, shall be filed at the Office of the Civil Registrar of the place where the birth occurred.

Upon receipt of the application for delayed registration of birth, the civil registrar shall examine the Certificate of Live Birth presented, whether it has been completely and correctly filled in and all requirements have been complied with.

In the delayed registration of the birth of an alien, travel documents showing the origin and nationality of the parents shall be presented in addition to the requirements mentioned in Rule 25.

Requirements for Delayed Registration of Death:

No delayed report of death shall be accepted for registration unless the following procedures and requirements are observed and complied with by the concerned parties:

a) four (4) copies of Certificate of Death, which must be accomplished correctly and completely;

b) affidavit for delayed registration which shall be executed by the hospital or clinic administrator if the person died in a hospital, clinic or in a similar institution, or by the attendant at death if the person died elsewhere. In default of the hospital or clinic administrator or attendant at death, the affidavit shall be executed by any of the nearest relative of the deceased, or by any person having legal charge of the deceased when the latter was still alive;

c) the affidavit referred to shall state among other things, the name of the deceased, the facts of his death, the date and place of burial or cremation, and the circumstances why the death was not reported for registration within thirty (30) days after death;

d) authenticated copy of the certificate of burial, cremation, or of other means of corpse disposal; and

e) approval for registration by the health officer in the box provided in the Certificate of Death.

The same goes for marriage certificates so make sure you get your marriage records in order.

Process for Delayed Registration of Marriage:

In delayed registration of marriage, the solemnizing officer or the person reporting or presenting the marriage certificate for registration shall be required to execute and file an affidavit in support thereof, stating the exact place and date of marriage, the facts and circumstances surrounding the marriage, and the reason or cause of the delay.

You can request for your NSO certificates by calling the NSO Helpline 737-1111 or by online chat at


Like it? Share with your friends!


Introvert, wanderer, blogger, foodie, a hip-hop music writer, and one of the co-founders of a tech start-up company called GigsManila.