Grab, the biggest ride-hailing company in the whole of Southeast Asia has shown support for local SME (small-medium-enterprise) in the Philippines through its first-ever NakakaLOKAL Festival. The campaign brought together homegrown businesses to celebrate the unique traditions and flavors of almost every region of the Philippines.
Different organizations have been holding several expos and summit to display the local products of our very own SMEs. But Grab’s NakakaLOKAL has, so far, been the most talked as it’s fresh, it’s big, and it’s outdoor!
After being under different colonies, provinces in the country formed their own unique traditions that we are trying so hard to preserve until this day, despite the huge influence of eastern and western cultures. From burgers to pastas, sneakers to denim jackets, Filipinos have been patronizing foreign products a lot to keep up with the pace of the rest of the world. Many have already forgotten our Pinoy flavors that can’t be found elsewhere.
And this is one of the things that Grab is trying to bring back in this NakakaLOKAL Festival – our love for our very own products.
The quality of Baguio’s walis tambo is unlike any other. The taste of Pampanga’s sisig can be beaten. Nothing can be as colorful as Quezon Province’s Pahiyas Festival.
The Visayas boasts a bounty of food and feasts too. Cebu has its mouth-watering lechon. Aklan’s Ati-Atihan is world-renowned for its unique theme.
Of course, Mindanaoans won’t allow that they are left behind. They have their fresh tuna with export quality. And the woven fabrics of Mindanao tribes are majestically elegant to use for clothing.
All of these wonderful flavors and traditions should be passed on to the next generations to come. And to preserve our cultures, local SMEs are striving to grow to cement their place in the Philippine industries. Asian Development Bank even believes SMEs serve as backbones of Asian economies and in the Philippines, SMEs and micro-enterprises combined actually makeup 99.6% of establishments in the country.
So in line with the celebration of Buwan ng Wika, Grab supports all the local SMEs in the Philippines through its month-long NakakaLOKAL festival to keep our local culture alive. Grab Philippines president Brian Cu said:
“Holding this festival is Grab’s way of contributing to the preservation of our cultural heritage. We have always put the best interests of the Filipino people at the forefront of our business, and bannering proudly-Filipino SMEs to the public will help us in our goal of keeping our cultural heritage alive.”
Grab NakakaLOKAL festival will run until August 31, during Fridays and Saturdays at the Central Square in Bonifacio Global City and The Market by Sugbo in Mandaue City, Cebu. The festival features a huge array of culinary and crafts adventure with GrabFood’s most popular homegrown food brands and local businesses under GrabExpress’ roster.
The fair is open publicly to all Grab users. And to treat their avid customers, GrabPay users can get a 15% discount on all food and Karton.ph concessionaires at the festival when they use GrabPay to pay your purchase.
Further treats include exchanging points for items at the bazaar for GrabRewards users. They can also redeem discount vouchers and freebies from Bambuhay, Folded N Hung, Akaba, Gawad Kalinga, each for 99 GrabRewards points.
During the opening of the fest, Grab started a NakakaLOKAL MVP challenge which will run throughout August until September 8.
The NakakaLOKAL MVP challenges include:
- For first time GrabPay users in Manila, Cebu, Pampanga: Get P100 cashback when they activate their GrabPay wallet and make at least one regular transaction with a minimum amount of P200 pesos on GrabCar, GrabExpress, in-store transaction via scan-to-pay, or online payments using GrabPay.
- For existing GrabPay Users in Manila, Cebu and Pampanga: Get P100 cashback when they do at least two regular transactions on GrabCar, GrabExpress, in-store transaction via scan-to-pay, or online payments worth at least P200 using GrabPay.
- For Grab users in Davao, Pampanga, Baguio, Iloilo, and Cagayan de Oro: Get a total of P60 discount voucher when they do a total of 6 Grab rides with a min. fare of P150.
Users who are able to complete the challenges will automatically qualify to raffle promos, including:
- 3 winners of travel packages for Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao (including flight and hotel accommodation)
- 17 winners of 2 flights tickets each via Mabuhay Miles to any Philippine destination
- 50 winners of Good Shepherd Baguio Gift Set
- 50 winners of Lechon from Rico’s Lechon Cebu
- 50 winners of Auro Chocolates from Davao
- 1000 winners of Karton Gift Boxes with different featured products from its partner SMEs
- 150 winners of Unilab Malasakit Bundles
Winners of the challenges will be announced on the second week of September.
Grab aims, in its NakakaLOKAL festival to put at least 1000 SMEs on the map and To help local businesses succeed. This will allow businesses to be discoverable in-app so that consumers and driver-partners can easily locate them on Grab-related transactions.
Cu adds to his statement:
“We are opening our doors to more SMEs in the Philippines who wish to be part of Grab’s ecosystem. Our goal is to tap more local businesses and help them reap the benefits of our connected superapp services, which has already empowered thousands of entrepreneurs and enterprises to date.
“We have always been inspired by the power of technology when used for good, and we at Grab would like to harness that asset to empower more Filipinos to live better lives every day. “