The wait is nearly over. Brave Combat Federation will be back in action, for the first time in 2019, with a stellar card for its Philippines debut. Brave 22: Storm of Warriors takes place this Friday, in Manila, at the iconic Mall of Asia Arena. But before that, the fighters confirmed their weights and stared their opponents down one last time before they face off inside the cage.
And the night was full of tense staredowns as co-main event fighters Cian Cowley and John Brewin stole the show, facing off with their expressions locked in while refusing to look away. Finally, the duo was separated by Brave president Mohammed Shahid. In the post-staredown interview, Cowley was succinct, claiming he was going to put on a “masterclass” against Brewin.
The Kiwi fighter, who represents Bali MMA, was a little more vocal and was thankful for the opportunity of fighting in the Philippines, a place he had grown to love a few years back when he cornered a teammate in the country.
“I appreciate the opportunity of fighting in a co-main event in the Philippines. I’ve said it before, that this is truly a dream come true. But in the end, I’ll fight anywhere, anytime. I can fight every day of the week and it doesn’t need to be a co-main event”, said “Trouble”.
In the main event, Bantamweight champion Stephen Loman made weight at 134,5 lbs (61 kg) and saw his opponent, Elias Boudegzdame, clock in at 135 lbs (61,2 kg). “The Sniper” Loman thanked the fans inside the World Resorts Manila for their support and promised a great show on Friday night.
“You can expect a good show tomorrow night. I’ve trained hard, Elias has trained hard. We’re ready. I’m very thankful for all the support from my people”, said the champ.
In the show’s second bout, Bahrain’s own Hussain Ayyad and Jason Vergara didn’t seem to see eye to eye and the duo nearly came to blows during their staredown, as Ayyad shoved Vergara before they were separated by Mohammed Shahid.
In the official weigh-ins, earlier today, three fighters missed their contracted weights, with Jeremy Pacatiw, John Cris Corton and Harold Banario came in heavy. However, their fights against Marc Alcoba, Abdul Hussein and Ariel Oliveros will go on as scheduled, and they will be fined for their misstep.
Offical Brave 22 weigh-in results:
- Bantamweight: Stephen Loman (134,5 lbs/61 kg) x Elias Boudegzdame (135 lbs/61,2 kg)
- Lightweight: Cian Cowley (155 lbs/70,3 kg) x John Brewin (155lbs/70,3 kg)
- Bantamweight: Jeremy Pacatiw (140,4 lbs/63,7 kg)* x Marc Alcoba (135lbs/61,2kg)
- Featherweight: Rolando Dy (145,9lbs/66,2 kg) x Mehmosh Raza (145,9lbs/66,2 kg)
- Bantamweight: Harold Banario (140,4 lbs/63,7 kg)* x Ariel Oliveros (133 lbs/60,3 kg)
- Bantamweight: Rex de Lara (135 lbs/61,2 kg) x Jayson Margallo (134,5 lbs/61 kg)
- Flyweight: John Cris Corton (126,5 lbs/57,4 kg)* x Abdul Hussein (125,8 lbs/57,1 kg)
- Flyweight: Jason Vergara (125 lbs/56,7 kg) x Hussain Ayyad (125,8 lbs/57,1 kg)
- Flyweight: Jomar Pa-ac (125 lbs/56,7 kg) x Sataya Behuria (125,4 lbs/56,9 kg)
*Missed weight and fined